Authors note: The calendar of ancient Egypt was made up of three seasons of approximately four months each. Their new year (inundation) began in modern day July, when the Nile flooded and brought with its water rich alluvial deposits. Inundation was followed by...
Kent October 2034: "Happy Morning!!" the alarm chirped like every day. Snoozing the hummingbird for the fifth time, I snuggled under the peacock blue quilt. The golden streaks of the cosy winter sun, peeking through the tiny fissures of the curtains awakened me. ...
It was a world where people without magical skill called mechanics were castaways, hurdled into tiny towns and walled off from the rest of the world. A world that stood for the wizards but not for the mechanics. This was one of those towns. She looked out of the...
She stood by the window and watched them. The playground reverberated with the exuberant chatter and laughter of her children. They had just finished a soccer match and their joyous backslapping enlivened the dull horizon. A smile lit up her face. It waned the next...
Nisha was feeling ecstatic. Nothing made her happier than her early morning five-kilometer run. Today was extra special. She was back to running after a couple of weeks’ break. A break where she had relocated to Hyderabad and joined her favorite IT firm as a ‘Senior...
I have been making plans. A few. Nothing much really. A trip to Switzerland. I have always wanted to go there. I think I have saved up enough for that. A few mails to some long lost friends. Catching up on a few books that I always thought I would read...
The end is near. An asteroid is coming towards Earth and the countdown has begun. It’s 120 days till Earth becomes a long-lost memory.
Each of the panic-stricken inhabitants of Earth has a story of their own to tell. Spin and build your story based on this setting.
NOTE: This is an exclusive event hosted for the Beaks club and Claws club of Room 8. Only Beaks and Claws club members are eligible to win in the event. However, all artoons in the Nest and Feathers Club are encouraged to participate to gain Participation, Swan and Python cards to get into higher clubs or retain their current club membership. Guest entries from places you have sought refuge in to escape the impact, are also welcomed, and will be shared in Room 8 only after the Rulfy deadline.
Countdown | Writing Rules
- Word limit: Minimum 2000 and maximum 2500 words.
–>Please note that End notes/footnotes in entries will be excluded from Word count only when they stand independent to the story and act as a reference.
Examples for End notes that will NOT be included in word count: Glossary, Credits, Reference links.
Examples for End notes that WILL be included in word count: Epilogue, Author Notes (If the story depends on it for clarification), PostScript.
- One entry per person. The first entry you send will be considered as the (final) competing entry. No changes will be allowed. Only Word documents are considered. No previously published writings. No plagiarism.
- Email your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “ArtoonsInn Countdown entry” and the most-fitting genre/s your story can be classified into. Entries submitted after the deadline will be considered as guest entries. Entries received after the deadline will not be eligible for a Participation Card and will be shared in the Room 8 only after the Rulfy deadline.
- Send a high quality, non-copyrighted cover picture along with your story (Refer www.unsplash.com)and do please share photographer credits. Please note that entries sent without a cover or photographer credits attested may be delayed in sharing.
- ArtoonsInn Rulfy Policy: Read, rate and review the stories of the participants who have read, rated and reviewed your story. Rulfying involves two terms. Giving and Returning.
-If you are giving a review/comment add a hashtag #Rulfy at the end of your review/comment requesting the author to rulfy back.
-When you are returning a review/comment to the one who’d requested with a #rulfy, add hashtag #Rulfied at the end of your review/comment.
-Rulfy deadline will be announced in the Writers and Readers’ Room | ArtoonsInn on 17th November 2019.
- Submissions close on 16th November 2019 at 23:59 of the participant location’s standard time. Winner announcement on Recognition Day, 30th November 2019. The winner gets a book delivered to their resident address in India.
- Entries are expected in Prose-style with coherent Short Story diction. Ballads/Narrative poems will be considered as guest entries.
- Enjoy writing! –>Share and invite your friends to be part of ArtoonsInn.
Swan cards are presented to the entries that score between 7.5 to 8.5 and Python cards are presented to the entries that score between 8.5 to 9.5 in the final score by the Watchers of ArtoonsInn which may help the participants enter higher clubs.
Know all the club members here: https://artoonsinn.com/club-members-artoonsinn/
Disclaimer 1: By sending your story to us, you are allowing ArtoonsInn to share your story on our website www.artoonsinn.com accepting all ArtoonsInn website policies.
Disclaimer 2: Your stories may be subjected to receive serious criticism. Kindly know about Artoons’ fundamental rights here:
Disclaimer 4: At the occasion of this event not being sponsored by an artoon or otherwise, Readers are informed that the stories may be interrupted by Google ads. Ads help in the management of the event (financially) and any inconvenience is deeply regretted.
–>Should you choose to present your entry anonymously, you may request for it to be done so. Your name will be updated three days after it is shared in the room unless requested otherwise.
–>It is suggested that if you wish to see honest reviews on your story, you write honest reviews for others as well. ArtoonsInn encourages participants who support, encourage and interact with others in a diplomatic manner.
–>Stories written prior to the event or works previously published elsewhere are neither considered for winning nor encouraged. Anyone sharing previously published content may be barred from the next month’s event.
–>Participants accused of plagiarism will be removed from the ArtoonsInn community.
Prompt by: Mithru Rachamalla
Event Organizers: Watchers of ArtoonsInn – Husna Thaslim, Mithru Rachamalla and Pallavi Suri
We extend our warmest invitation to you to honour us with your presence on Recognition Day – 30th November 2019.
Venue: Room8 of ArtoonsInn – https://www.facebook.com/groups/WritersAndReadersRoom